I am compiling a bit of a list: Can
you add to it?
- Ayatollah Khomeini; (Died from intestinal bleeding, most
Iranians have HP).
- Lorne Greene; (Of Bonanza fame. Died from peptic ulcers and
pneumonia complication, I only know what I saw on the cover of National
- James Joyce; (Family history of stomach cancer and died of
a perforated ulcer as per your letter). Most people born before 1940
would have had HP as adults, especially in Ireland.
- George Bush; (At one time in the 60's had a duodenal ulcer;
lots of men in the CIA have HP because they have lived overseas, particularly
- Pope John Paul II; (Had gastric bleeding in the 1980's. Most
Poles have HP).
- Imelda Marcos; (Had gastritis and gastric bleeding during
her N.Y. court case; most Filipinos have HP).
- Stonewall Jackson; (Was known as a terribly grumpy dyspeptic
by his doctor!). HP infection rate was very high in USA before 1900.
- My great grandfather. (A Scott. Bled to death in hospital
with a duodenal ulcer. Family blamed his fondness of citrus fruit!)
- My father in-law; (Gastric problems ever since WW2. Blamed
army food! Better since treated for HP in 1993!)